Friday, December 5, 2008

Christmas Memory

With Christmas coming up my mind reflects upon some special experiences I had as a child. Growing up, life at home was an ongoing financial struggle. When Christmas time would come around, I wondered if we were going to have presents under the tree. I felt bad for my parents that they were unable to give us the Christmas they probably wished they could. Fortunately, grandparents and other relatives were kind to give in our behalf so that our tree wasn't empty. Don't get me wrong, our parents were able to give us some things...just not very much. I remember one year I knew money was really tight. Mom asked me what I would like to have for Christmas. I knew to give her an answer of some grandiose (sp?) gift was out of the question, and also I didn't want to be honest to protect her feelings of not being able to give to her children. So, in a quick reply, I said, a bag of reeses butter cups. Well, Christmas morning arrived and low and behold, I had next to my stocking a bag of reeses butter cups. My heart was touched. I didn't even want them to be quite honest. Yet, in her efforts to try and make her kids happy for Christmas, she gave me what I requested. As years have passed and I have become the parent, I am on the other side, with financial struggles, how to give my kids what they would love to have. It is a different feeling to be the giver and feeling like you can't give because you have nothing too give. My thoughts turn to the Savior. He gave everything in his life for each of us to have what we need. The way He lived His life was the greatest of gifts I or anyone could receive. He gave up a majestic birth that rightfully he deserved. He gave up his time to serve his fellow man. He gave up his ability to wipe clean the evil and wicked men that persecuted him. Ultimately, he gave of his life so that I could live again. I think of Christ's Father...my Heavenly Father too, how he had to vanish to the farthest parts of the universe to resist the help He would have liked to give while he son blead from every pore. I ask myself, what can I give my kids so that they will have a wonderful Christmas this year when finances are meager. My gift to them will be me. I love my kids and my wife. All I have to give to them is my love, my care, my protection, my hugs and my prayers. I hope I can be an example to them that they will see me as their hero. My life is for their benefit. To ensure that they are having the life they chose before they were born. It is my opportunity, my privelege and honor to give them the life they sought to have. May the Lord bless me in my efforts that I may not "give" up on them, but rather "give" to them.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Thank you for your good example. You are a hero to our children. They love you very much and will follow in your footsteps. Keep on keeping on. :)

Alice said...

Alice actually made that earlier comment. :)